I’ve moved a lot in my life. I can’t say that I enjoyed it either. You get settled into a place, buy furniture that works perfectly in the space your in, and you get used to the local conveniences. Sometimes you can’t do much about it though and when you gotta go, you gotta go. So here’s my top tips on making the big move.
1. Write lists. What areas would you like to live in? What do you consider as the most important things to have in your local area? What are your priorities for your new place? Pros and cons of your last place? Have a clear picture of what you want and what you need and prioritise. Is it worth having a ginormous bath when it takes you over an hour to get to work? Would you rather have a large park nearby or a short walk to the local supermarket? You aren’t going to get absolutely everything you want so make sure you get the most important things, and everything else is a bonus!
2. Budget! Just as it’s important not to overspend, it’s important not to underspend. There’s no point moving into a place you don’t enjoy being in just so you can buy a couple extra beers out with your friends.
3. Explore the area. When you go see a place, have a wander around. If you take public transport regularly, see how long it takes you to get to the closest stop. Have a look at what your local shops are like. If you don’t like your local area, you aren’t going to be happy in your new place.
4. Consider down sizing. Take this opportunity to get rid of extra stuff and consider the space you’re moving into. If you move into a bigger space, you will accumulate more. Is this something that you do or do not want?
5. Trust your feels. It doesn’t matter how much a place ticks your boxes, if you don’t get the happy feels from it, you won’t enjoy living there. You have got to love the space you’re in.
I’m sure this is pretty obvious advice but hopefully I’ve helped somewhat. What advice did I miss out on?
Thanks for reading!