It was the husbands birthday this week and as we don’t really have a whole lot of cash to fling about at the moment I thought I would share 31 ways (in honour of his 31 years) to treat someone for little or no cash.
- Go out of your way to bring them a coffee (or small treat) to their home or workplace
- Take them out to their favourite coffee shop
- Bake them a homemade treat
- Cook them their favourite meal
- DIY a personalised mug
- Frame your favourite photo of you together
- Create a treat box of their favourite things, like tea and chocolate
- Give them something that’s sentimental to your relationship like the first movie you saw with them
- Spend the day doing their favourite activity (even if it isn’t yours)
- Take them to the pub to watch their favourite sport
- Make an effort to get rid of distractions like technology and listen to them talk!
- Give them a break by doing their chores, or babysitting!
- Write a letter detailing everything you love about them and how they impact your life
- Create a video montage of your history
- Help them do something they are dreading (like put together furniture!)
- Bring over a bottle of wine (or alternative) and a game like monopoly or uno and enjoy the laughs
- Get everyone you can to pitch in whatever they can and get them the present they’re dreaming of
- Organise a surprise catch up with their friends or family (bonus points if they aren’t people they can see often!)
- Create a book of photos, kind messages and funny stories from you and their friends and family
- Use your community to solve a problem of theirs (e.g. ask your family handyman to fix their door)
- Take them for a sunset picnic
- Go for a sunrise hike (if that’s their thing, otherwise this is just mean!)
- Camp for the weekend somewhere local
- Spend a day going for a drive, stopping at landmarks and window shopping
- Plant them a cutting from your garden in a cute pot (Frangipani trees are great for this and if you have time chilli is a good edible plant to grow from seed)
- Give them a poster from a memorable occasion. A good friend scaled up a local arts magazine cover from the first time we went to Brighton and printed it on poster paper and this is one of the best gifts I ever received.
- If you already create as a hobby, create something purely for them
- Get a gag gift! Make them laugh by purchasing them something absolutely ridiculous like a nerf gun
- Look out for free events, like markets or a local show
- Take a day off just to hang out with them
- Get them a book about something they are interested in
Hopefully these 31 things have inspired you to do something nice for someone you know. This can be for a special occasion, or it could be random, just to make them feel good. I think it’s important to treat the people you love with care and positive intention.
Thanks for reading,